This guest blog post was written by pet parent Lisa.
My dog Kizzy is like my kid and is very particular about what foods she likes to eat. Ugh! All I wanted was for my whole family to be happy at mealtime. After searching high and low for answers to my pup’s picky problems and discovering Fresh pet I came up with these five things that you can do to make a difference:
- Call the Vet – a loss in appetite can be a sign of an illness. The veterinarian will be able to diagnose and rule out any medical conditions that may be causing this feeding behavior.
- Cut back on treats – If your dog is snacking all day, it they may not be hungry at meal time. Could there be a chance that a family member is feeding him scraps from the table? Your dog could also be getting into trash cans or neighbors might be giving him snacks. All of this can be a factor in why your dog is a picky eater.
- Try something new – If you have been giving your dog the same food for a while, try Freshpet. Freshpet dog food is made with all natural ingredients. Your dog will smell and taste the difference, and feel like they’re eating just like you do at the dinner table. And just like humans, pets can get tired of the same recipe. So try switching up different recipes or forms from time to time. This will help peak interest at mealtime.
- Stick with a routine – Feeding your pet on a regular schedule, usually at least twice a day. Then remember to pick up the bowl when your dog is finished eating. This will help your dog know that when the bowl is out, it is time to eat.
- Make it fun – You can change up mealtime to be a fun time for your dog, such as by playing with a toy that dispenses Freshpet food or using a different bowl or plate at different heights to see what your dog prefers.
If you are like me and needed to make a switch in food, consider Freshpet. It is our new favorite. I feel good about giving it to my dog Kizzy because Freshpet is a different kind of company that cares about people, pets, and the planet, and is also interested in giving pets fresh, natural meals. They also had a variety of products to choose from including Freshpet Select Chunky Chicken Recipe with Vegetables & Brown Rice and Fresh pet Select Fresh From the Kitchen – Home Cooked Chicken Recipe to name a few.
To help you learn more about making the switch, visit the How to Feed page on Freshpet.com.